welcome

Welcome to the official blog of Vercingetorix712, a college student who enjoys kenjutsu, video games, current events, a good cup of tea, and most of all the concept of Deadliest Warrior. I sincerely hope you enjoy reading along as the most distinguished fighters from history and fictional works are selected and pitted against each other with one goal above all else: for one to emerge victorious and be crowned the Deadliest Warrior!!!


Featured Match:

Featured Battle:

fdhgfj

Total Pageviews so Far! Thanks for Your Support, Everyone!

Total Pageviews so Far! Thanks for Reading Everyone!

Check out the official Deadliest Warrior Showdown theme here:

I have been considering ideas for historical matches. What do you want to see?

Between Sora and Toon Link, who will walk away alive?

Between Sora and Toon Link, who will walk away alive?

Between Sora and Toon Link, who will walk away alive?

Sunday, May 29, 2011

About me, and my writing philosophy

I know that the name "Vercingetorix712" sounds rather mysterious, so my goal here is to provide some information on myself, my writing style, and my philosophy behind these matchups. I'll answer some basic questions first:

1. What does your name mean?

A: Vercingetorix was a Gallic Celt chieftain who lived during the time of the late Roman Republic in what is now France. He was a true leader of men, unifying the Celts in their resistance against Roman encroachment. Before Vercingetorix, the Celts were made of scattered warring tribes, but under him they united to find a common identity and fought together against the armies of Julius Caesar. Though Vercingetorix was ultimately beaten by Caesar, he was by far the Preconsul's most worthy opponent and very nearly ended Caesar's rise to power before it was fufilled. Most importantly, he gave the Celtic people a sense of national purpose and today he is remembered as a hero by the Celtic nations, but particularly France and Germany.

Thus, my name is a tribute to this leader because I think he was what a warrior should stand for: someone who was noble in combat, chivalrous to his subjects, and who fought to the end for what he stood for. The numbers don't mean anything, except that they are a reminder of my old username.

2. Why do you write and comment about DW?

A: Because I love the concept, if not always the show itself. There are many things it does well, but also plenty that it gets wrong, from using incorrect equipment to taking the identity from the warriors. This, I feel, is the show's greatest shortcoming, and I'll explain it more later.

3. Who are you personally?

I am a young college student who enjoys several hobbies, but most of all the Japanese sword art of Kenjutsu (five years experience), current events, armoring, and video games. I also like to write, but only when I'm really inspired to get off my lazy ass!

My blogging philosophy:

I wouldn't be writing if I didn't feel that I could add anything new to the blog community, and I very nearly stopped for this very reason. However, I now have a unique style that I follow to make my blogs the best I possibly can.
Let me preface this by stating that there are several writers whom I owe a tremendous debt to, most notably iHonk and monopolyman aka afanofsparta. They got me started on this, and though my style is slightly different than theirs I strongly urge you to check out their blogs as well:

Warrior Cultures by iHonk: http://mikezglr.blogspot.com/
DW Matchups by Monopolyman: http://necromoprhvsfellowship.blogspot.com/

Each writer has his own philosophy, or the things that they emphasize when they write. Here are several examples:

Historical Detail: Through painstaking research, every nook and cranny of the warrior is probed and tested with a precise scoring system. The simulations are detailed, but mostly just set up the warriors to do battle. Simple, and effective. (iHonk)

Historical Immersion: The combatants' martial arts, history, and ways of life are examined in a way that tangible and intangible aspects of the warriors are compared. The simulation is often long and elaborate, with a variety of characters who fight for different reasons. The main focus of this style is making you feel like you actually have travelled back in time. (afanofsparta)

Direct Comparos and Tournaments: Two warriors are compared in very direct ways to quickly establish a winner. They can be very detailed, but the simulations read like a comic book more than a novel. The advantage to this style is that matchups are both easy to read and to make. (Marek, Arieshuls, thecowgoesmoo)

Television Immersion: The warriors are compared as though they are on the show, and experts grade and judge their weapons. In general, these follow the format of the show. (masteroftheboot, scarecrowsmainfan)

and my style:

Artistic Immersion: My style is similar to Sparta's, but I like to focus on the stories, styles, and motivations of the competitors. Like I was mentioning earlier, I feel DW has its greatest failing here in that they ignore what a Warrior is: someone who chooses to fight for their beliefs, good or bad. The show assumes that its combatants are robots, and in my mind this is downright wrong. Warriors such as Vercingetorix showed us that having a reason to fight is a true measure of a warrior. This isn't the only one, but I like to focus on this aspect by  creating simulations that are immersive and using things such as music and videos to create the sense that these warriors are actually people who fight rather than rock-em,sock-em robots. Though I know a good deal about history, my knowledge is by no means complete so I like to differentiate myself by creating matchups that I'm passionate about and using my writing abilities to bring the battles to life.

None of this is to say that any style is superior, but my objective in writing is to create something that is hopefully fresh and exciting, a match that you'll remember for a long time.


and the last question:

Why is your writing schedule so irregular?

A: It's irregular because I consider these to be an art, and inspiration doesn't come easy to me. Plus, real life gets in the way sometimes, but most often it's just that I lack the passion to write at the given moment. By moving in between matches I can avoid burnout and work on what fascinates me the most at the moment.


Well, if you have gotten this far I would like to thank you for expressing an interest in my blog. If you like it, please be sure to share it with others, and also check out the work of my fellow bloggers!



Vercingetorix712

3 comments:

  1. This is a rather fascinating look into how you and other people operate. I can understand how the motivations and personality of the warrior are far more important than they give them credit for on the show. I admire anybody who puts effort into their writing. It makes it all the worthwile.

    Over on fanfiction there are way too many guys who just write a five hundred word long deadliest warrior match and then leave it. There's no passion to it.

    Anyway, I think that I'm going to enjoy your work very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you for the amount of effort you've put into this and particularly like how you categorize other deadliest warrior bloggers, though for me there is a lot of overlap with other styles, particularly the tournament. Once I hit 10 matches (I am at 8) I will take a break and launch a mini back for blood where the various victors AND losers fight each other in two seperate circles: Championship and Redemption each with multiple different categories such as Tribal/Early Civilization, Classical, Medieval/Early Gunpowder, Fictional :superpowers and group (Fellowship,Dead Space Monsters). Armies are also similarly split . Championship winners will move onto the next round, while losers go to the Redemption. Redemption winners will get a chance to move back to Championship after their third consecutive win, while losers face oblivion. New Categories will be included for some parties. Some example matchups include Alex vs. The Winner of Sarah/Anakin, Dante vs. the loser of said Sarah/Anakin, Huaorani vs. Koa, and Julius Caesar vs. the winner of my current Poll (with two exceptions: I refuse to put him against Ivan/Blackbeard due to them being gunpowder, and I will not due Alexander{if he wins!} vs. Caesar as that will be one of the last battles I do) .


    Also remember that in the future when DW season 3 starts up there will be a lot more people reading your stories. Remember this when you start to lose sight of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the show has scientists (a Bio-medical Engineer, a UFC Trauma Doctor, and a Computer Geek Programmer)for "Judges",it's no wonder the warriors are treated like "robots".

    ReplyDelete